Tuesday 25 May 2010

Hong Kong

The Hong Kong skyline

I arrived on Tuesday afternoon having narrowly dodged both the ash cloud that morning and the BA strikes due to start the following day. So other than a worrisome Sunday night, I had a seamless and very pleasant journey.

Arup's Stonecutters Bridge (background) seen from the Airport Express train.

The first thing that hit me about Hong Kong was the topography – I hadn’t realised just how hilly it is here. The second thing that struck me was the incredible infrastructure that makes this city of 7 million people possible given the challenging terrain. It really is as good as people say – great transportation, effective drainage, reliable utilities, and pleasant public spaces that work well with the hills. 3G cellular connections work everywhere – even on the metro and cross-harbour tunnels. The metro has metal seats that still manage to be more comfortable than London’s.

I spent the rest of my first day in my hotel room preparing for the next two days’ meetings, finally venturing out after 10pm for a quick walk and my first glimpse of the Hong Kong skyline. Even at this time it was still warm and humid. The hotel itself, on the waterfront in Kowloon, was lovely. Huge room, great view and terrific staff.

The view from my room

Arup’s office in Hong Kong must be a strong contender for the ‘Most dramatic views from an Arup office’ award. The terrain slopes away at first before rising up to tall, tree-covered peaks. Stunning. I was warmly welcomed by our colleagues there and very well looked after throughout my stay. Met some great people. It’s fascinating learning about how our business works in different parts of the world, and the subtle differences that exist in local markets.

The Knowledge Centre/library in Hong Kong

The office adjoins a shopping centre, where I was generously taken for dim-sum lunches both days I was there. Being a ‘vegetarian’ in China/Hong Kong is challenging, to say the least! On the plus side, I’m now only slightly hopeless with chopsticks.

I had been wondering how I’d handle the jetlag – usually I cope quite well. I managed stay awake and to go to bed at Hong Kong time on my first night, and woke up on time too. However, as the day wore on it really hit me – particularly after lunch. I struggled through the day, and even managed to stay awake until Hong Kong bed time again. The next day was better, but in all I reckon it was a few days before I fully adjusted.

I managed to see some of the city on two evenings after work, and had the Friday off too. Did all the usually touristy things really, no shame in that. Most of it involved ogling the skyline from different angles (city person, see?). I also visited Kowloon mosque (this will be a recurring theme on my travels) for Friday prayers, and wandered around some of the different neighbourhoods pointed out by my trusty guidebook. I particularly enjoyed the two-and-a-bit mile walk around Victoria peak, which felt a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of the city just a kilometre or so beneath us.

Standing at 'The Peak', a hill overlooking a misty Hong Kong.
A kind stranger saw me looking very alone and offered to take my picture!

I like Hong Kong; it’s full of energy and is working hard to remain a competitive global business hub. It’s an easy place for a Brit to come thanks to the still noticeable colonial influences, and the fact that its fully bilingual. However, it does feel like it’s losing its ‘edge’ a little bit, with huge shopping/office complexes slowly swallowing up historic neighbourhoods and the cultural vitality they bring.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - great start! What an amazing experience, New cultures and sights. I look forward to the office reports. Nick.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Blog Counter